What Causes Crooked Teeth? Perelmuter and Goldberg Orthodontics
Having crooked teeth can be uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing. However, did you know it’s more common than you think? This is true for both children and adults. Check out a few reasons why people have crooked teeth below:
- Baby Teeth: The genesis of crooked teeth can go all the way back to baby teeth and habits. For example, heavily sucking on a pacifier or thumb, trauma to the mouth, or genetics can all be causes of crooked teeth from a very early age.
- Jaw Size: Another thing that can cause crooked teeth is the size of your jaw. Some scientists think that the evolution of a smaller jaw has increased the chances of having crooked or misaligned teeth.
- Malocclusion (misaligned jaw): Naturally, your teeth are meant to fit just gently over your lower teeth – allowing your molars to fit into the grooves. However, if this isn’t the case, and alignment doesn’t occur, your jaw could be misaligned. Having a misaligned jaw (overbite or underbite) is another cause of crooked teeth.
- Genetics: It is possible that if both or one of your parents has crooked teeth, that you will too! You can inherit over or underbites from your parents as well.
- Facial Injury: If you have a high-impact injury to your face or mouth, there is potential for crooked teeth, as a result of your unjury. So, stay safe and protect your mouth whenever you can!
Luckily, there are solutions to helping create a beautiful straight smile! Reach out to Perelmuter and Goldberg Orthodontics today to see how you can get the straight, beautiful smile you’ve always wanted.