Most Popular Bite Issues and Causes
No, we’re not talking about the act of biting, but rather the way your upper and lower teeth come together to create your unique bite. It’s no mystery why an improper bite or a “malocclusion” can be problematic for your alignment and jaw. So, here are a few of the most common bite issues:
- Crowding: This occurs when there isn’t enough room for all your teeth. Thus, your teeth crowd, overlap or appear crooked. This can happen if your teeth are big or if there isn’t enough room in your jaw. If not treated, it can cause gum disease and cavities – due to difficulty of cleaning.
- Spacing: Spacing is a common issue where there is too much space between your teeth. This can occur if you’re missing teeth or have an oversize jaw. If not treated, you can easily get cavities and gum disease because of the open areas where food can get stuck!
- Protrusion: This is when your front teeth stick out, typically because the upper jaw is too far forward. It could also occur if the teeth grow in at an angle or if your bite is too deep. Speech issues, tooth decay, dried oral tissue and uncomfortably are all issues associated with protrusion.
- Deep Bite: Similar to Protrusion, but is more like an “overbite.” This occurs when the front teeth cover the bottom teeth too much. This can result in gum disease and early enamel wear.
- Underbite: This occurs when the lower jaw is further out than the upper jaw – causing tooth wear and stress on jaw points.
- Crossbite: A crossbite is when the upper teeth fit snug inside of the lower teeth. This can occur with several teeth, or the whole row. If not corrected, misaligned jaw growth and the wearing down of outer tooth enamel can occur.
Untreated bite issues can worsen over time if not properly treated by an Orthodontist. Having a healthy and happy bite is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and jaw. Reach out to us today and schedule your appointment!